Sweet Potato Fluff
My MIL makes this for holidays, when I’m going to be around. I made it last week for a Thanksgiving brunch I went to, and someone asked for the recipe. I thought I’d share it here as long as I was typing out the recipe!
Sweet Potato Fluff (or Souffle, as my MIL calls it)
6 to 8 medium sweet potatoes (I used 6 and that made enough for the brunch).
2 sticks of butter
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 can well drained crushed pineapple (I used a 28 oz can but you could use smaller, depends on what you want)
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
Bake the sweet potatoes at 375 for about 45 minutes (or until done) in the oven. If you’ve never baked sweet potatoes, they’re easy. Just cut the ends off (if you’re not going to do this, make sure you pierce them with a fork so steam can escape), throw them on a pan and bake! Make sure you cover your pan or whatever you bake them on with foil, because they release sugar when they bake and it will burn to whatever they’re on and be just about impossible to clean off! They’re done once a fork goes easily into them, and it looks like the skin is kind of loose. Once baked, let them cool a bit, so you can remove the skins, which should peel off easily (this is kind of a sticky job, though, thanks to the sugar content).
Once baked and peeled, begin to mash sweet potatoes in a bowl, add 1 cup white sugar, 1 tsp vanilla (the vanilla will take over quickly so don’t use too much!) and 2 sticks of butter (I melted mine but if your sweet potatoes are hot, you could just add the sticks in). Once mashed together, add 1 can well-drained crushed pineapple. Mix together. Pour into 9×13 greased baking dish (spray with Pam is fine), sprinkle 1 cup of brown sugar on top and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until top browns and mixture is bubbly.
That’s it! For a variation, you could mix the brown sugar with some chopped pecans and then sprinkle that on top, but it’s not necessary.
You could also divide this into two smaller pans, if you needed to.
Even people who say they don’t like sweet potatoes, like my husband, will try and enjoy this because it’s more like dessert than a vegetable.
All recipes at a glance:
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili