Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
First, I’m sad to announce that we’ve decided to disband Whipped Out. Apparently, the three of us are too busy to update multiple blogs. Who knew? I’m going to be doing two things: 1) porting all of the recipes from there to here and 2) installing a new theme on this blog and updating the look, so it’s a little more clean. Hopefully I’ll also be able to create an index page for the recipes. So it looks like recipes will be appearing here again (sorry to those of you on diets).
As many of you know, I like to bake. Sadly for me, my family almost never eats what I bake. I’m pretty sure it’s not because the things don’t taste good, but apparently, they like processed cookies and snacks more than homemade. Because of the awful, oppressive heat, I haven’t been doing a lot of baking this summer, but the other day I ran across this recipe for peanut butter bars–a recipe which doesn’t require you to turn on the oven at all–and I knew I had to make it. And I’m glad I did, because it was goooood. SO good. And seriously? Ridiculously easy.
Peanut Butter Bars (adapted from allrecipes.com)
1 1/2 cups melted butter (you can use a cup only, if it makes you feel better, the bars will be more crumbly)
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky, your choice)
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate if you’re feeling spunky)
4 Tbsp peanut butter.
Okay, now for the complicated instructions:
1. Mix together melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar and 1 cup peanut butter. Combine well. Press into ungreased 9×13 pan.
2. Melt together chocolate chips and 4 tbsp of peanut butter. If you do it in the microwave, do it on 50% power. Mix well. Pour on top of peanut butter crust.
3. Chill. Cut into squares. Curse me for showing you how easy it is to make these because they taste BETTER than Reese’s Peanut Butter cups. Resign yourself to either having huge hips or freezing half this batch. I’m not responsible for the choice you make here.
4. Remind yourself to make a half batch next time.
(Oh, and you should keep these refrigerated, otherwise the chocolate on top gets soft and they get kind of messy.)
These were a hit at my house. My family actually ate like…half a pan of them! I’m going to inflict the rest on the moms at our mom’s night out gathering tonight. Heheheh.
All recipes at a glance:
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili