Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
*Both recipes are from allrecipes.com but I adapted them to suit my needs, so I’ve included the original version and my adaptations.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
“Chicken seasoned with taco seasoning and topped with salsa, then baked.”
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used six)
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix** (I used a whole package, see below)
1 cup salsa (I used a cup and a half)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional) (I just put to taste on my own serving, since Josh doesn’t like sour cream)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
4.Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired, and serve.
**I used an entire package of seasoning mix, dumped it in a storage bag, put the chicken breasts in (I used six breasts) and shook it up to coat.
Variations: Add a can of drained black beans and/or a can of drained corn.
1. Use a crockpot liner. Really, you’ll thank me. Don’t cook without one.
2. Coat both sides of chicken breasts with taco seasoning, place in crockpot, top with salsa and place lid on crockpot.
3. Cook on High for 4-6 hours or Low for 6-8 hours.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 40 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
“Rice is sauteed with onion and green bell pepper, and then simmered with water, chopped tomatoes and spices.”
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (I omitted the green pepper because I didn’t have it and green pepper tends to take over a dish anyway)
2 cups water (I used chicken broth instead, for better flavor–1 can is approximately 2 cups)
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel tomatoes or Del Monte diced tomatoes work well)
2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste (I used cayenne pepper because I couldn’t find the chili powder)
1 teaspoon salt (I omitted the salt since I used chicken broth in place of water)
1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.
2. Stir in water and tomatoes. Season with chili powder and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
My husband even liked this rice and he’s not a fan of Spanish rice.
All recipes at a glance:
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili