Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
My brother requested I make Chicken and Dumplings. I asked him if he wanted Chicken and Biscuits or Chicken and Dumplings. He said Chicken and Dumplings. That’s what he got. Turns out he meant Chicken and Biscuits. Men. But I’d never actually made Chicken and Dumplings before and I like to try new things, so I read a bunch of recipes and then made up my own. Cuz that’s how I roll 😛 This was a quick recipe, ready in 45 minutes. If you’re using pre-cooked chicken, it would be ready in 30 minutes.
Chicken and Dumplings
*4 cups water
*2 tsp chicken base (if you don’t have chicken base, substitute 2 cups chicken broth for 2 of the cups of chicken broth)
*1 can cream of celery soup
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*I medium onion finely chopped.
* 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
*1 1/2 cups chopped frozen carrots
*2 lbs cubed chicken (small pieces) (this is also a good recipe for leftover roasted chicken or turkey)
*1 can refrigerated biscuits (don’t buy the butter style, you’ll make your dish greasy). I used a can of the grands, but it doesn’t matter what size the biscuits are, really, just buy a can of biscuits.
*salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute the chicken in a minimal amount of oil in a large stockpan. While sauteing, season with desired amount of salt and pepper. Skip this step if you’re using leftover chicken. Or canned chicken.
2. When chicken is nearly done, add finely chopped onions and saute.
3. Once chicken and onions are cooked through, add peas and carrots and saute for a few minutes, just to take the chill off.
4. To the chicken and veggies, add the water, chicken base (or broth), both cans of soup. Bring to a boil.
5. Once the mixture is boiling and well mixed, separate the biscuits. Tear them into small pieces (1 inch pieces) and flatten slightly. I usually take one biscuit, flatten it in my hands, and then tear it into pieces. Throw the pieces into the pot as you tear them. Once all the biscuits are in (don’t worry, it might be a little crowded), mix it up a bit, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Serve. Yum!
You can adapt this recipe by adding finely minced garlic with the onions, using celery or other veggies. I thought it was good kept simple, and my family liked it, but there’s nothing wrong with experimenting!
All recipes at a glance:
- A Midwestern Holiday Drink: How to Make Tom & Jerry Batter
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili