Mexican Goulash (recipe)
Weeks (and weeks) ago I asked on Twitter for some hamburger ideas. I was…fresh out and I had hamburger that had to be used. Someone suggested Goulash, which I just knew my family wouldn’t eat, but when I went searching for a recipe for it, I found one for Mexican Goulash on allrecipes.com. Right up our alley (with modifications, of course).
Mexican Goulash based on a recipe from allrecipes.com
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 can corn (drained)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning (or a few Tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cumin (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (or whatever pasta you like)
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Brown hamburger in skillet.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
3. Add taco seasoning, chili powder, oregano, cumin and mix well
4. Stir in water, tomatoes, green chiles, corn and bring to a boil.
5. Add pasta, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until your pasta is tender.
6. Top with cheese, cover and cook for a few more minutes, only until cheese is melted.
Serve with cornbread!
For variations, you could use ground turkey, or add sausage for additional flavor. I found the original recipe (not posted here) way too bland so I added a lot of spices and seasonings. How you manage those to your family’s taste is the key to this recipe. You can make it spicier or blander by adding/removing spices or using less of them.
All recipes at a glance:
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili