Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
Let me warn you, this recipe isn’t a quick, weeknight slap together. It does take some preperation. But it is oh so yummy. This is actually my husband’s recipe (thus the title, lol) that he created after many, many recipes found on the internet and much trial and error.
General Tso’s Chicken
1 large egg, beaten
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1-1½ pounds chicken legs/thighs/breast
1 cup cornstarch
3 ½ peanut or cooking oil
8 small dried hot chili peppers
½ cup scallion, finely sliced
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
1 ½ tsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbsp hoison sauce
½ cup brown sugar
3 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp dry sherry
2 tsp red pepper flake sauce (optional)
1.Skin and debone chicken, removing all visible fat and membranes. Cut into 1 inch chunks
2. In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients, mix well then cover and set aside.
3. In another bowl, add the egg, salt and pepper and 2 Tbsp cornstarch and mix until smooth.
4. Add the chicken, mix until coated well, then cover and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. Place oil in a wok or deep frying pan and heat over high heat until very hot (warning, if the oil gets too hot, you will burn the chicken coating).
6. Meanwhile, spread 1 cup cornstarch over bottom of small cookie sheet or similar pan.
7. Using tongs, remove the chicken chunks from the marinade one at a time, dropping them onto the cornstarch, then rolling around until completely dusted. When all pieces have been dusted and oil is hot, carefully drop pieces into the oil and deep-fry for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes until chicken is browned and crisp. Turn off heat, remove chicken pieces and drain in a strainer, over a suitable bowl.
8. Pour off all but 1 ½ Tbsp of oil from the wok or frying pan and turn heat to high. As soon as oil starts to smoke (about 30 seconds) add the peppers and stir fry for about 20 seconds.
9. Add the scallion and stir fry for an additional 30 seconds. Add the chicken and stir fry for 1 minutes. Stir the sauce mixture and pour into the wok or pan. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and the pieces of chicken are completely coated.
10. Turn off the heat, remove to a serving dish and enjoy with rice and Chinese vegetables
Serves 4 to 6
All recipes at a glance:
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili