Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
Okay, so technically this isn’t baking, but…whatever, you get the idea. This recipe came from my friend Trish, who brought them for the “cookie” exchange at our annual Christmas party. I didn’t actually participate in the cookie exchange but I plan the party so a few people usually bring me cookies anyway (yum!).
There’s a few great things about this recipe. First, it’s easy. Second, it’s ridiculously adaptable to your tastes. Last, they’re pretty darn tasty.
Here’s the base recipe from Trish:
12oz white or milk chocolate
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c Craisins
1/2 c cashews
1/2 c peanuts (I left out these)
In med. bowl melt chocolate in microwave (stirring once) for 45 secs (mine took 60 secs) stir in rest of ingredients
Spoon the mixture into flexible ice cube trays (I put mine in a mini muffin pan) whack the trays on the table to remove bubbles. Refrigerate until set, about 30 mins. Flex the trays to remove the candies
beat the mini muffin pan on the counter until they pop out
So here’s my notes:
* I used miniature candy cups (like baby muffin cups) and lined them up on a jelly roll plan, then used a cookie scoop to put them into the cups. This way, I didn’t have to worry about popping them out of anything, I just kept them in their cups.
* I played with a combination of ingredients, but found I liked a base of cashews and craisins best (I’m really not a fan of raisins). Just do whatever it takes to have a cup of nuts and a cup of dried fruit.
* Feel free to play around with different chocolates (milk, dark, semi-sweet, etc).
* You could easily add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter to the melted chocolate to change up the taste even more.
* Be creative with ingredients. I threw in some Heath bits to a small batch. They were good!
* These look fancier than the time you actually put into them, so they’re great to take to holiday parties!
All recipes at a glance:
- A Midwestern Holiday Drink: How to Make Tom & Jerry Batter
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili