Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
I discovered this recipe thanks to Tastespotting a few months ago. I think what moved me to make it was that I love chocolate cookies but have never found THE recipe that calls to me. As soon as I made this recipe, I knew it was going to be my favorite, the one I turned to when I wanted a chocolate cookie.
I’ve made these cookies a few times now, and though there’s a few steps to the process (they’re not dump and bake) I find them actually pretty simple to make. But the most amazing thing about these cookies (besides their chocolatey goodness) is that they taste amazing even a few days post-baking. In fact, my husband said he thought they were better. I find most cookies are best within a day or two of baking, but these were still fantastic 3-4 days later.
I’m afraid I can’t link to where I got my recipe, as I’ve since just added it to my recipe archive, but I do know there are several variations of these on the web.
Chocolate puddle cookies
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I use half semisweet, half bittersweet for a darker flavor)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350A?F.
1. In a saucepan, melt the oil, butter, and 1 cup of the chocolate chips together until consistency is smooth. Let cool until not hot but warm to touch.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined. Gently fold in chocolate mixture.
3. In another medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Pour chocolate/egg mixture into dry ingredients, then fold in remaining chocolate chips.
4. Freeze the batter in a shallow pan for 10 minutes, until it sets. (I used a cake pan)
5. Scoop rounded tablespoons (I used a cookie scoop) of batter onto parchment-lined (or greased) cookie sheets. I think parchment paper really works best, but YMMV.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes, until the tops look shiny and crackly. –I think the key here is not the time but the way they look, which is why I made sure to include a picture. Don’t keep them in the oven because they still look or feel wobbly–take them out when the top is shiny and crackly. These cookies aren’t meant to be dry!
All recipes at a glance:
- A Midwestern Holiday Drink: How to Make Tom & Jerry Batter
- Apricot-glazed Pork Loin
- Awesome slow cooker roast
- Black Orchid Martini: Get Your Drink On
- BLT Burritos: Dinner Made Easy
- Boilermaker Chili
- Boston pork butt/shoulder (How do you use one?)
- Brandy Slush
- Capellini Pomodoro
- Caramel Apples: Ever wondered what it means to be too stupid to live?
- Chicken and Dumplings: Dinner
- Chicken bog: Dinner
- Cooking the Books: @BookEndsJessica’s Pink Vodka Sauce
- Cooking the Books: Lemonade Pie from Editor Mallory Braus
- Cooking the Books: Perfect Fried Rice from Heather Osborn
- Cranberry lemon white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
- Cream Cheese Squares
- Dangerous cake in a mug
- Dinner Made Easy: BLT Burritos
- Easy Christmas “Cookie”–Cracker Candy (w/gluten free option!)
- Fire roasted tomato soup
- Football food! Pizza pinwheels.
- For your holiday cooking: An awesome dinner roll recipe
- Gingerbread Chocolate Cookies
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes
- Ground Beef Curly Noodles: Kid Friendly
- Ham and potato soup
- Hamburger recipes?
- Hash Brown Quiche
- Holiday baking: Bubble bread sticky rolls
- Holiday baking: Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- Holiday baking: Chunky Chocolates
- Holiday Baking: Cinnamon Caramel Corn
- Homemade chai
- Homemade pizza sauce
- Homemade potato chips
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Ice cream in a bag
- In search of some recipes
- Josh’s General Tso’s Chicken
- Knockoff Baked Beans
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Meatball recipe…
- Mexican casserole: Dinner
- Mexican Goulash (recipe)
- Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- Parmesan Basil Chicken Salad
- Party food!
- Peanut Butter Bars: Summer Dessert
- Pizza Burgers
- Pizza Casserole
- Recipe for busy moms: Ground Beef Curly Noodle
- Recipe request!
- Recipe: A Little on the Side
- Recipe: Butter Chicken
- Recipe: Katie's Pulled Pork
- Red Bean & Barley Soup
- Roast Sticky chicken Rotisserie Style
- S’mores brownies
- Salad recipes from the brunch today!
- Salsa Chicken and Spanish Rice
- Sasha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Seafood Lasagna
- Shrimp Scampi
- Slow cooker jambalaya
- Snappy Smothered Chicken
- Soup base
- Spicy Basil Chicken
- Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Spinach-Ham Roll-up
- Summer Cooking: Chicken Breast ideas #dinnertip
- Summer cooking: Deviled Eggs
- Summer Cooking: Grilled fish with cherry tomatoes & tapenade, Rice-Orzo side dish
- Summer cooking: Spicy Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
- Summer dinner: Key West Chicken and Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sunday cooking: Gumbo
- Sunday Dinner: Crockpot “roast” chicken, gravy and my favorite homemade salad dressing
- SunnyD adult drink
- Sweet Potato Fluff
- Texas Salsa from Author Gail Dayton
- Thanksgiving menu
- Tuscan White Bean Soup Adjusted for Slow Cooker
- Weekly menu: 1/9/11-1/15/11
- White bean and ham soup
- White chicken chili